Thursday, September 12, 2013

A good day!

Despite several pretty intense seizures, today has been a great day! Primarily because we got to pick up Norah's wheelchair/stroller. We started the process in February, and 4 denials (two from our primary insurance, two from our secondary insurance), a long appeal process, and many phone calls later, we got to take it home today! 

It came fit to her measurements from February, so it was pretty cool to see how much our little lady has grown. Her femur alone grew 1.5 inches! Way to go, Norah! Failure to thrive, my butt. 

Of course, Norah had to immediately brand the stroller. Shortly after getting in, she had a big seizure and puked up all the carrots I had given her for a pre-breakfast snack. Thank goodness for black fabric on the seat! It also allowed us to see how great the forward-tilting seat function is. With the butterfly chest strap in place, we can tilt her forward and let the vomit fall out of her mouth so she doesn't suck it back into her lungs. That's just one of the awesome features this chair offers. My favorite, I think, is that I can switch the seat to be rear facing, so I can see her when we're on a walk. Yay! 

The thing weighs close to 40 pounds, but the seat can come out of the base, so I should only have to lift about 20 pounds at a time...and Norah is a bit heavier than that now (21.5 pounds...woo hoo!), so it shouldn't be too bad. A good upper body workout, at least. 

Getting the chair also made me get my butt in gear about asking for a handicapped tag for our car. I called the doctor and it's as easy as them filling out a piece of paper and sending it to me. Once I get it, I can take it to the SOS (Michigan-speak for DMV) and get the tag. For some reason, I thought it would be much more difficult than that. Apparently I could have gotten one a long time ago, but I felt weird having one before we had the wheelchair, for some reason. (This would be a great discussion topic for a Disability Studies class!)

Can't wait to take our girl out for a spin in her new wheels this weekend! 

1 comment:

  1. Lizzie, So glad I am getting time to read this. You are the best.
    love, Glory

    ReplyDelete